The Eames Rocker Replica: A Dumpster Chair Upgrade

Thursday, December 12, 2013

In 2011, I was getting in my car to head to work when I saw chair legs sticking out from a dumpster nearby. After debating work arrival timeliness for a nanosecond, I hopped out of my car and pulled the plastic chair out of the dumpster. The chair had turquoise paint all over it (likely why it ended up getting thrown away), but the paint easily washed off. For the last two and a half years, that chair has been in either my bedroom or my living room.


It's not a horrible looking chair, but as a I slowly upgrade the rest of the furniture in my apartment with mid-century pieces, its replacement became inevitable. For months, I've been telling myself that I would get a replica of the classic Eames rocker to replace the dumpster chair. I've found several and have been closely watching their prices (you can find them on the subscription-based retailer Dot & Bo for $160 or so). I also recently spotted an original pair for $300 at a Mid-Century warehouse here in Philadelphia. Not cool for my cheapskate budget. Then, Overstock sent an email with a deal too good to pass up - the rocker replica in white (masked as the Vinnie Cradle Chair) for just $88 with free shipping! Without any second guessing, I made the decision to buy from Overstock. 


The chair came with in two pieces, the seat and the base. The screws and an allen wrench needed to complete assembly were included in a baggy. No instructions were necessary, and I easily had the chair together in under five minutes. For $88, this is a sleek replica and instant upgrade from the dumpster chair (which is now hiding under a blanket in what I'm now calling the corner of shame). 


The chair is temporarily sold out in white on Overstock, but they still have a gorgeous baby blue option. Overstock, a site I'd never search before for mid-century replicas, has a lot of options to choose from, and many of their deals are two chairs for the advertised price (which is a steal when lookin at other replica sites). A great new resource in my home furnishing arsenal. 

P.S. Also, I was really confused to discover that Christopher Knight not only has a line of furniture available on Overstock, but dude is rocking a serious soul patch. Yes. That Christopher Knight. Peter Brady. Pork chops and applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment